Friday, April 22, 2011

Interview with Chaosweaver from Damnum Animus


I'm proud to present an interview with the man behind the musical beast that is Damnum Animus. The debut EP, Sanity: The Lies Of the Father has created a little bit of buzz within the metal community and has gotten all around positive feedback. In this interview we discuss the process of creating the EP and upcoming releases from Chaosweaver's numerous other projects.

Foul Feast: How did this project come about?

Chaosweaver: This project actually started as an exclusively depressive black metal endeavor. I had written one song, which turned out to be The Last of My Kind. I let it drift for a while, and ended up turning it into a symphonic/depressive/ambient project.

FF: The band is currently just a one man thing, do you aim to keep it this way or would you accept like minded musicians to join?

Chaosweaver: In fact, the next album will feature multiple other musicians. I’m not going to say anything else about that until later though.

FF: Who are some of your main influences?

Chaosweaver: I am a huge fan of intense classical composers such as Hans Zimmer, so I draw some influence from them. Also, When Mine Eyes Blacken is another influence in terms of drumming and composition.

FF: Do you have any plans of future releases (with this project or any other)?

Chaosweaver: I do. For this project, I have a split coming up (no release date or name yet). I also have another EP or possibly full length (!) in the making. For my other projects, I have several things planned: Decaying My Youth has an EP in the works, The Fall of the Heretic has a full length in the making, and Invoking the Divine has a demo coming up.

FF: Your music is far from what would be considered conventional black metal.
Lyrically what are some of the themes explored on Sanity?

Chaosweaver: Heartache and living without purpose are two of the big ones. Some have called my music too “emotional” because of this, but hey, if you don’t like it, don’t listen to it, you know? Also, religion/lack of faith in such is the subject of the last track.

FF: How did you go about writing the EP?

Chaosweaver: One of the main parts of the music is melody. I tried to infuse as much melody as possible without sounding cheesy or overdoing it. Furthermore, the cellos took a big part in the songs, so I tried to make those almost like the lead guitars of sorts. A lot of the actual writing took place on guitar, in fact, and I transposed it to cellos or strings or choirs.

FF: How has the feedback regarding the EP been so far?

Chaosweaver: The feedback has actually been rather good. The average review has been around an 80%. Minor complaints here and there, such as the abrupt starts and stops to the songs, but in due time, the critics will get their wishes.

FF: What is the meaning behind the name Damnum Animus?

Chaosweaver: Damnum Animus is Latin, actually. It means “loss of soul”. I figured it would be appropriate for the type of music I would be playing.

FF: It is great to hear underground artists doing something unique and the EP sounds excellent. Is there anything else you'd like to add?

Chaosweaver: Thanks for the interview. I’d like to throw a shout out to all the people that gave me feedback on the album before its release. Also, for all those metalheads that read this, keep the underground alive. Don’t let corporate media take us over. For that reason, all of my releases with Damnum Animus will be released free of charge. Stay metal my friends.

No comments:

Post a Comment