Tuesday, August 21, 2012

Moloch/Yudlugar- Dissonanz Split 7"



What we have here is Dissonanz, a pairing of two bands with vastly different sounds. On side A we have Moloch. Moloch is a one man depressive black metal band that has had a slew of releases since forming back in 2002. On side B we have Yudlugar, a project that has been labeled "blackened speedcore" which immediately peaked my interest. I came in expecting a possible mix of fastcore and black metal (which was a complete misunderstanding on my part) but instead I got some extreme blasting noise with a bit of black metal influence. While I was disappointed at first, I took some time to fully digest what I was hearing and did my best not to be close-minded about it.

The Moloch side of this thing consists of some extremely solid depressive black metal. The track starts off with a spoken word section and shortly after we are met with some erratic, hopeless vocals (not a bad thing by any means). The instrumental for this track does a solid job at putting the listener in a trance-like state, although it is a bit disjointed at times. Moloch isn't doing much that separates this project from the pack but that isn't really something that is to be expected with bands like this. He does what he does quite well and this track may be one of my favorite tracks I've heard of this style in recent years. A thick atmosphere is created on this side of the split and it really sticks with you upon first listen. It is one of those tracks that I can put on and my mood will immediately change. That staying power is a very important factor to me when it comes to depressive black metal and I think Sergiy Fjordsson has mastered the ability to create that. 

The Yudlugar side of this split completely blindsided me. This style of music is something that has always been extremely hit or miss with me and in all honesty I'd never heard someone mesh black metal influence in with it. Upon the first few listens I thought it wasn't for me. Around my tenth listen it all sort of clicked. This is most definitely not something I can throw on the turntable any day of the week. A certain mood is certainly required for one to want to be hit with this vicious wall of noise. If you're not familiar with this brand of extremity then it will most likely take some getting used to.

Overall this split is actually a pretty damn interesting match and the two projects surprisingly fit nicely next to one another. I will say I'm glad I held off on this review for awhile and gave side B a few more listens because upon first listen this review would've been completely different. Fans of depressive black metal should definitely pick this up for the Moloch side alone. If you're a fan of speedcore or any other noisy skullcrushing musical genres then I'd recommend this to you too. This is a nice clash of two different styles that paid off quite nicely.

No comments:

Post a Comment